Friday, November 6, 2009

Meeting her

When I first saw Missy, my world stopped. I had been hunting and following Hildy for so long, that I had ceased hoping to find someone for myself. Hildy was my focus. Stopping her my obsession.

When I saw Missy on that river bank and knew that Hildy was near, my heart stopped. Yes, my heart still beats even though I am vampire. the Fae blood in me keeps me alive enough to keep the bodily functions going. why else do you think I can eat? Imagine how painful that would be if I did not have bodily functions?

However, I digress.

Melissa stood on that river bank, the fog hanging in the trees behind her, yet the river bank was clear, leaving an unimpeded view of my beloved. And from that very moment, she was my beloved. my center of focus stopped from chasing and stopping Hildy from some vague threat of world domination, to stopping Hildy from hurting this wondrous creature.

It may sound like my world revolves around Melissa, and in a way, it does. When you live for centuries, your priorities contract…and yet, they expand in such a way that mortals cannot comprehend. I don’t mean to belittle you. I envy you. I once thought I was one of you. That ended the day my mother showed up on my Da’s doorstep on our mountainside farm all those centuries ago. In fact, I was not Fae enough to have survived longer than a mortal life, so it should not have mattered. That Fae blood. it should not have mattered.

And I cursed the day that all of that changed. That is, until I met My Missy.

Picture it; I was going to end this one way or another. I could not take it. I have not told Missy this, though once she reads this, she will know…and I am sure it will be put in her next book. *small laugh* I was going to take Hildy out, or let her take me out. To use a phrase that Missy would love. I could not do it any more. I had spent so long chasing after her, and failing. Watching her murder and ruin so many lives, while I failed again and again. I could not take it any more. This was to be the last attempt. I had vowed this to myself, and to my faithful companion, Galen. How much more, has yet to be revealed. Let’s just leave it that he is my faithful companion.

Then, there standing on the river bank, and I stood staring toward the house that I knew sheltered the woman that was the source of my turmoil, I saw the woman who became the source of my joy, and I knew I had to do whatever it took to not only survive, but to end Hildy’s reign of terror. I succeeded on one score, and only partially on the other. There is time yet…

Together, Missy and I will finish it. Always, together.

~Dominick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dominick and his mate, Missy, are characters out a book series starting with Into the Forest (coming July 2010 from Mundania Press) and the sequel, Underhill (work-in-progress) written by Cherry Dumas (www.enchantmentofthemind.com , www.cherrydumas@blogspot.com , www.twitter.com/cherrydumas , www.facebook.com/cherry.dumas